Operations Scientist – Assistant Lab Manager
Join our small, but dedicated team to learn, earn & grow in a new and exciting field of science. We believe in flexible hours for employees; we are looking for a well-qualified candidate who has family responsibilities but could work at least 2/3 time.
Responsible for the day to day operation of the laboratory which would include conducting planning, preparation, extraction, purification of material and production. An important responsibility would include the analysis of plant materials, intermediate ingredients and final products for potency using a HPLC.
The candidate would be responsible for maintenance of daily production in the cGMP operations; including performing and interpreting process control checks. Maintain appropriate level of equipment, supplies and raw materials. Maintain all process orders, raw material usage, batch records and associated activities and fills product orders for shipment. Conform to safety, cGMP and environmental standards. Maintain high level of housekeeping. The ideal candidate should be able to perform their duties and responsibilities with limited oversight of the laboratory manager / supervisor.
You will have an opportunity to become skilled in the use of a wide range of lab instruments, including but not limited to precision balances, HPLC, extraction equipment, vacuum ovens, DI water systems, conductivity meters and pipettes, all of which are essential to meeting our manufacturing requirements. Having the ability to learn quickly on the job, anticipate and resolve potential manufacturing and delivery issues and maintaining the highest level of quality are critical. Additionally, you will work on problems of diverse scope in which analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. You will also exercise judgment within generally defined practices and policies.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Work weeks are typically Monday through Friday, 9 to 5 but may be adjusted for a well qualified candidate to be able to work 2/3 time.
- Meet cGMP production goals through hands-on operations of lab process and equipment.
- Learn production process steps and complete according to the GMP Lab SOPs and batch records.
- Maintain high level of housekeeping.
- Assist or lead trouble shooting the process and equipment.
- Assist or lead the installation, qualification, and startup of new processes and equipment.
- Responsible for properly managing the generation and accumulation of hazardous and non-hazardous waste.
This job may have supervisory responsibilities. You may supervise laboratory assistants / technicians.
SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES
Every individual is personally responsible for the safety and environmental aspects of his or her activities in the workplace. Each employee is expected to perform their job duties in a safe manner utilizing all of their knowledge, training, ability and experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
AA or Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Chemical Engineering or other allied science, plus experience in a lab setting or a combination of education and applicable experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such percentages, area, circumference, volume, and mass. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and work with their hands. The employee frequently is required to walk; stoop, kneel, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, reach above shoulder height, and climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds…
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to hazards present in a typical chemical laboratory and will be required to wear basic PPE during work (safety glasses, laboratory coat and gloves.)
These are the specific areas of knowledge, skill and ability that are important for successful job performance. They must be job related and consistent with business necessity.
- Knowledge of or desire to learn production scale and/or lab scale pharmaceutical type manufacturing.
- Computer skills – WORD, EXCEL, etc.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work independently as well as working within a team.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to apply creativity and innovation to identify new approaches and solve existing problems.
- Ability to understand and implement company policies and practices, including regulatory compliance.
- Organized, flexible, responsive, and proactive.
- Strong interpersonal skills, high motivation, and energy to coordinate a number of functions across an organization.
- Ability to forecast work, identifies potential conflicts, develop and communicate potential